Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Saturday 26 March 2011

The Duff Review


The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
  
Title: The DUFF
   Author: Kody Keplinger 

   Publisher: Poppy
   Released: Sept 7th 2010
   Pages: 277
   Rating: A+  
 



Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "the Duff," she throws her Coke in his face.
But things aren't so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone. And eventually, through this realization, Bianca begins to see how harmful her unhealthy way of dealing with her problems has been, and finds a way to confront them head on.
I really enjoyed The DUFF. I hadn’t planned on reading it for a while but it kept calling to me so in the end I gave in. I read the whole thing from start to finish, not once putting it down. It was that good.

I loved the whole message throughout the novel. I think everyone has felt like the DUFF (designated ugly fat friend) at least once. I know I have on more than one occasion. The message really stuck the whole way through and it was really central to the plot.

Bianca was awesome. Sarcastic, witty and catty. She isn’t someone I should like but I couldn’t help but love both her strength and her vulnerability. She was very sure of herself and confident on the outside and whilst she genuinely is confident she, like every girl, has insecurities which are made worse by Wesley, resident manwhore of her school.
I heart Wesley. I know. Sure, he was a complete bastard jerk but he grew throughout the novel and became incredibly sweet and just pure perfection. Definitely my favourite character.

The thing I loved about the characters was that they are so real. They were just teenagers. I felt like I could know them in real life. The plot also felt realistic, though I don’t know if it is.

Now lets talk about sex. There is sex in this book. If you hate sex stay away. There is quite a bit of sex. However, I thought it was tastefully done despite the fact that the reason why they were having sex wasn’t overly so. It wasn’t unnecessarily graphic and wasn’t off putting (for me anyway).

I’m not a prude and I know some teenagers have sex. I can accept this, being a teenager myself. If I heard about a girl doing this in my school I would roll my eyes and judge. This book, however, completely changed my mind. I am not saying that I agree with Bianca using sex as a distraction for her problems, especially with a guy that she hated. I can understand why she did it though. Kody Keplinger managed to get me to sympathise with a character than in real life I would judge. She has mad skills.

The writing was great. It was intense and raw and just real. It wasn’t flowery or overly descriptive it just told it like it was. Bianca’s voice was very distinctive and gripping.

Kody also managed to address a lot of issues in addition to sex and self esteem. There were mentions of divorce and alcoholism and she also touched slightly upon the aftermath of sex.

I really like the ending. It felt really fitting and true to the novel and the characters. It wasn’t overly sweet and unrealistic. It had the right amount of cute and realism.

That is basically all I have to say. It rocked. I want to read it again, like, right now. I am off to go flick through and find my favourite bits!

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Writing: 9/10
Originality: 9/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Voice: 10/10
Impact: 10/10
Style: 10/10

Cover: 7/10
Setting: 7/10
Overall 92/100 

A+

5 comments:

  1. It's awesome that The DUFF really changed your outlook on those girls we tend to call "slutty". Haha. It had the same effect on me, too!
    I completely agree with you--The DUFF rocked. I can't wait for Kody's next book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I did like the Duff, being a little older I was upset that Bianca used sex to run from he problems. I di like the ending and think that Wesley redeemed himself and the Bianca grew from her experiences. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a read I may enjoy. Sex in novels, tastefully done, is okay in my book, but I wonder how I will feel when I know it's teens. Something to contemplate, but still adding to my list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying desire to read this book! ♥ I heard from a lot of my friends that is so amazing story- now you also think so... I really must read it very soon. (*hoping*) Because I think I´ll really enjoy this book and that I´ll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just bought this book and I am looking forward to read it after all my exams and test at school. If the all things you said are true I think I will really enjoy this, cause I love sarcastic characters.
    Thank you for this great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...