Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Saturday 17 December 2011

Review: Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

     Overprotected         

Title: Overprotected
Author: Jennifer Laurens
Series: Standalone
Pages: 243
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Release Date: April 29th 2011
Source: From author
Rating: 4 stars


Ashlyn: A lonely society princess living in New York City. 


Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard. 

Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector. 

Daddy thought I’d be safe. He thought I’d never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever. 

Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin. 

Daddy was wrong.




Overprotected took me a little while to warm to but once I did I was completely addicted. It consumed every thought I had. A seemingly light read with darker undertones. I would call it as a guilty pleasure.

Ashlyn is the daughter of an extremely overprotective father that has her watched constantly. She craves freedom and in a desperate attempt to gain it, she tells her father that her bodyguard is in love with her. In return, her father brings in a new bodyguard, Ashlyn's childhood enemy, in hopes of preventing a romance between his daughter and her bodyguard.

The writing style took a while to get used it. It was very simple and straight foward but it created a quick pace that kept me reading. To say the book was addictive is an understatement. I had to know what would happen and how it would end.

The synopsis sounds a little creepy but it is much worse in the book. There is creepiness from many different angles. Her father's protection was suppressive and unhealthy. I definitely sympathised with Ashlyn.

I liked both Ashlyn and Colin. I adore hate to love romances and this was no exception. There was chemistry and sexual tension between the two from the very beginning and I loved every minute of it. Their romance was lovely to read.


The ending was a huge shock. Laurens kept me guessing and there were twists and turns involving character development and plot. There were definitely some characters that I misread.


This book exceeded my expectations and I am so glad I had the opportunity to read it. A beautiful romance mixed in with dark elements, dealing with 
overprotective parents and general family life. A refreshing read!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow this sounds really good I love books that are just plain addicting! Awesome review I hadn't heard of this one before!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...