Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Thursday 29 December 2011

Review: The Haunting of Charity Delafield by Ian Beck


Title: The Haunting of Charity Delafield
Author: Ian Beck
Series: Standalone
Pages: 281
Publisher: Bodley Head (Random House)
Release Date: November 3rd 2011 (UK)
Source: For Review
Rating: 4 stars



A magical, enchanting tale, with stunning illustrations that will transport you into another world. 

Flame-haired Charity Delafield has grown up in a vast, isolated house - most of which she is forbidden to explore - with her fiercely strict father. With only her kindly nurse, Rose, and her cat Mr Tompkins for company, she knows very little of the outside world - or of her own family's shadowy past. What she does know is that she is NEVER to go outside unsupervised. And she is NEVER to over-excite herself, because of the mysterious 'condition' that she has been told she suffers from. 


But Charity has a secret. All her life, she has had the same strange dream - a dream of a dark corridor, hidden somewhere in the house. Then, one day, Charity stumbles across the corridor. It leads to a door . . . and suddenly she realises things are not quite what they seem.


I don't really read middle grade novels but I have to say The Haunting of Charity Delafield was a pleasant surprise. It was full of suspense, action and mystery and there was a quick pace from the beginning. It was sweet and refreshing and such an enjoyment to read.


Charity's father prevents Charity leaving their home or even exploring the ground due to her "condition" in an attempt to protect her. His overbearing ways heighten Charity's curiosity about the secrets he is keeping from her about her "condition" and her mother who is claimed to be dead.


I was gripped right from the start and swept away with the mystery along with Charity. Charity was a loveable character. She was sweet and good natured but not without some mischief. I loved reading about her adventures even if they didn't even well.


The secondary characters were really fun to read about. I loved Silas, the chimney sweep and Mrs Browne, the cook. I felt like I really got to know them and they had something to add to the story.


The mystery was written perfectly and I was unsure of what was going to be discovered. The ending was a complete surprise and went in a different direction than I expected. Nevertheless it was a perfect ending.


The Haunting of Charity Delafield was a lovely surprise and I am so glad I read it. I definitely think I will be reading some more middle grade novels in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I think I need to read this one, the cover is beautiful and I have seen so many good reviews! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...