Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

     Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Series: Standalone
Pages: 352
Publisher: Quirk
Release Date: June 7th 2011
Source: For review
Rating: 3.5 stars


A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography,Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was a book I was dying to get my hands on. I would do pretty much anything for a copy. That cover? Awesome. Those freaky pictures inside? LOVE. The book wasn't quite what I was expecting but I enjoyed it none the less.


Jacob and his grandfather have a very strong bond. From an early age Jacob's grandfather told him stories of a place where there were peculiar children that could do things that no one else could do. Jacob is a little doubtful of these stories and ventures to Wales to discover if they stories his grandfather told him were just that or if they held some truth.


From the pictures and the cover, I expected a really creepy book. Instead, there was a story of a young boy uncovering a mystery about his grandfather. I  loved the idea of the book and I adored all the pictures that accompanied it. It was a really lovely touch.


I wasn't expecting the romance that 
occurred. I love romance and I loved the aspect of it. I liked both Jacob and his love interest but I particularly liked Millard. Definitely my favourite peculiar.

I really enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children but it wasn't quite what I expected. I would describe it as an adventure/mystery novel rather than creepy. It read slightly more middle grade than YA in my opinion but nevertheless I enjoyed reading it.

4 comments:

  1. This was NOT what I expected either I was really underwhelmed with the story. I felt it was written for a much younger reader. The pictures were pretty cool though!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had this book on my shelves unread for far too long! Really need to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the book was excellent! Like everybody says, it really isn't what you expect, but in my opinion it was much better. Personally, I believe it would appeal to a younger audience, as well as an older. I would definitely recommend this marvelous read to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go team Millard. *fistbump*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...