Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Wednesday 21 September 2011

Review: Rockoholic by CJ Skuse


    Rockoholic



Title: Rockoholic
Author: CJ Skuse
Series: Standalone
Pages: 365
Publisher: Chicken House
Release Date: March 7th 2011 (UK)
Source: For review
Rating: 3.5 stars


Jody loves Jackson Gatlin. At his only UK rock concert, she’s right at the front. But when she's caught in the crush and carried back stage she has more than concussion to contend with. Throw in a menacing manager, a super-wired super-star, and a curly-wurly, and she finds herself taking home more than just a poster. It’s the accidental kidnapping of the decade. But what happens if you’ve a rock-god in your garage who doesn’t want to leave? Jody’s stuck between a rock-idol and a hard place!

From the pen of C.J. Skuse, author of last year’s super cool debut Pretty Bad Things, comes a tale of rock star obsession gone nuts. Hilariously and sharply explores the fantasy and reality of celebrity obsession through a teenager’s eyes. C. J. Skuse has been billed as the new Nick Hornby for teens.



There were a lot of things I enjoyed about Rockoholic. It was fun, a little silly and really quite funny. The plot is the one of the strangest I have ever come across. A teenage girl kidnaps a rockstar. Majorly bizarre. And totally wacky.



Jody was a fine protagonist. At times she got on my nerves a little with her obsession with Jackson, the rock star. I also had a few issues with Jackson. However, it was a realistic portrayal of an obsessed teenage girl and a rock star. I know many girls who would act just as Jody did and I am sure there are rock stars exactly like Jackson. My favourite character, however, had to be Mac.

The plot at times was a little unbelievable but for the most part CJ Skuse managed to balance realism with the unique nature of the novel. I felt it lagged at moments but the beginning and end definitely packed  a punch.

If you are looking for a light, funny read then I’m sure you will enjoy this.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Mac so much! I felt bad for him that Jody just focused so much on Jackson when it was clear Mac like her loads more... ;p
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...