Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Review: The Name Of The Star by Maureen Johnson

      The Name of the Star (Shades of London)


Title: The Name Of The Star
Author: Maureen Johnson
Series: Shades of London #1
Pages: 370
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: September 29th 2011 (UK)
Source: For review
Rating: 4.5 stars







The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.




The Name of the Star is nothing like I've ever read before. A book set in London, about Jack the Ripper and ghosts. Totally count me in! Rather than feeling like a paranormal, it felt like a contemporary fiction with a touch of paranormal. The first third of the book felt very much like a contemporary novel. A new girl in a new school in a new country. Nothing overly unique there (though still fabulous). The ghosts were a nice touch to add some paranormal elements yet it still felt very plausible and realistic.


Rory was incredible. A fabulous protagonist. Her southern charm and wit was hilarious and constantly had me smiling. Jazza, Rory's roommate was wonderful too and she added humour and fun to the novel. The relationship the two of them had was endearing and sweet.


Jermone was a lovely romantic interest. Gosh, does Maureen Johnson know how to write a hot guy and some steamy make out scenes. I really enjoyed the romantic aspect of the novel. This being said, I liked Stephen a lot too.


I'm not going to say much on the ghosts as I wouldn't want to spoil anything. There is a lot of mysteries around the ghosts and those who can see ghosts and it was extremely interesting to read about!


I love history. I find it extremely interesting and I loved how Johnson wove in interesting facts about Jack the Ripper. It was done so subtly that it didn't feel like a historical fiction, in the sense of it taking over the whole novel. It was a perfect amount of fact and fiction. 


I did, however, feel a little lag in the middle which slowed my reading. It wasn't hugely significant though it did effect my enjoyment slightly. The POW-WOW ending completely made up for this though. All in all, a fabulous read. Definitely recommend!

6 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read this!! It looks AMAZING!! Great review :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you liked this one! It's been on my wish list for FOREVER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh awesome. I didn't even expect Maureen's new novel to have a romantic aspect. Good to know that it has hot make out scenes it it:D
    Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you really enjoyed this one, I must get round to it soon it looks so amazing! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds good and I love the new cover... I'm just not that psyched about the storyline. I may have to reconsider if I keep seeing reviews like this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've preordered this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...