Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Tuesday 20 September 2011

Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

    Sisters Red (Sisters Red, #1)


Title: Sisters Red
Author: Jackson Pearce
Series:  Fairytale Retellings #1
Pages: 346
Publisher: Hodder
Release Date: June 3rd 2010 (UK)
Source: For review
Rating: 4 stars




The story of Scarlett and Rosie March, two highly-skilled sisters who have been hunting Fenris (werewolves) -- who prey on teen girls -- since Scarlett lost her eye years ago while defending Rosie in an attack. Scarlett lives to destroy the Fenris, and she and Rosie lure them in with red cloaks (a colour the wolves can't resist), though Rosie hunts more out of debt to her sister than drive. But things seem to be changing. The wolves are getting stronger and harder to fight, and there has been a rash of news reports of countless teen girls brutally murdered in the city. Scarlet and Rosie soon discover the truth: wolves are banding together in search of a Potential Fenris -- a man tainted by the pack but not yet fully changed. Desperate to find the Potential to use him as bait for a massive werewolf extermination, the sisters move to the city with Silas, a young woodsman and long time family friend who is deadly with an axe. But the clues to finding the Potential aren't adding up, and Scarlet is shocked to learn new details of Silas's family history. Meanwhile, Rosie finds herself drawn to Silas and the bond they share not only drives the sisters apart, but could destroy all they've worked for.



I really enjoyed this retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. It was dark, usual and really intrigued me. I liked Pearce's writing style and I felt that there were a lot of interesting turns in the plot, especially towards the end.


It was a little slow to start with but definitely picked up its pace and I got sucked in along with Rosie and Scarlett on their hunt for wolves. Rosie and Scarlett were so different yet their relationship was incredibly endearing. The dual perspectives really helped me to see inside the heads of the sisters, giving the story an extra dimension. Rosie and Silas' relationship also added an interesting aspect to the novel.


The ending was super fast and I couldn't stop reading. Things that I never expected to happen, happened. It was truly a fabulous ending. The pace kicked up and I was memorised by the action scenes.


A unique spin on a traditional fairytale. Definitely worth a read!

2 comments:

  1. I love retellings! I hadn't heard of this one I'll check it out! :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book :D I'm not that big a fan of retellings but I really enjoyed this one :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...