Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Review: What Happened To Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

    What Happened to Goodbye


Title: What Happened To Goodbye
Author: Sarah Dessen
Series: Standalone
Pages: 402
Publisher: Razorbill Penguin
Release Date: June 2nd 2011 (UK)
Source: For review
Rating: 4 stars



Another town. Another school. Another Mclean. Ever since her parents' bitter divorce, Mclean and her father have been fleeing their unhappy past. And Mclean's become a pro at reinventing herself with each move. But in Lakeview, Mclean finds herself putting down roots and making friends—in part, thanks to Dave, the most real person Mclean's ever met. Dave just may be falling in love with her, but can he see the person she really is? Does Mclean herself know?


I ADORE Sarah Dessen. She is one of my favourite contemporary fiction authors. She creates realistic, magical romance novels that make my heart melt. She writes books that I will reread multiple times.

What Happened To Goodbye, in my opinion, is not her best. It lacked something for me. What I love most about Sarah Dessen is that we get to see an actual relationship between the two characters. I felt it was a little rushed here.

Dave, the romantic interest was super swoon worthy. I love a super smart guy who is a little on the geeky side.  I had no qualms with him at all. McClean was also a relatable protagonist that I could connect to. Dessen always makes characters that I want to be friend with. The additional characters were also fabulous.  McClean’s diner and school friends really added an extra dimension.


The writing was as incredible as always. I am totally swept in and captivated by her words. They are so beautiful and poetic and mesmerising. She also knows how to create super sweet, make-me-aw moments that just tug on my heartstrings.

What Happened to Goodbye is a quick, sweet romantic novel with beautiful writing and engaging characters, though the romance felt slightly rushed. If you are a Sarah Dessen fan, read it. If you have never read Sarah Dessen before I wouldn’t recommend starting here. The Truth About Forever, Just Listen and Along For The Ride are some of my favourites.

2 comments:

  1. I have a few Sarah Dessen on my bookshelf but I haven't gone into one yet. I have read this wasn't her best. Which one is? Great review!

    Giselle at Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this right now and I'm LOVING it! I agree that the relationship is a little rushed, but I still love me some Sarah Dessen. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...