Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Thursday 1 September 2011

Review: Fury by Elizabeth Miles




Title: Fury
Author: Elizabeth Miles
Series: The Fury Trilogy #1
Pages: 352
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: September 1st 2011 (UK)
Source: For review
Rating: 4 stars



It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems... 
Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend. 
On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed. 

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. 


Em and Chase have been chosen.



There is a huge Greek mythology trend in YA at the moment and I must say that I love it. I don't know too much about Greek mythology therefore I cannot tell how accurate it is in books. It could be completely wrong and I would love it anyway (but the more accurate he better, obviously).


The synopsis of Fury really captured my attention. The idea about Karma and punishing people for wrongdoings is a curious subject matter and throw in some love triangles and this mysterious boy and I am so in. The vague synopsis really allowed me to enjoy Fury as I went in without any expectations.

I found it to be a really good start to a series. It was full of sexy and forbidden actions and I just got sucked in. Whilst there was a lot of naughtiness going on I didn't feel like they were being condoned yet at the same time there was an underlying question about the severity of the actions that go on in the novel and what a suitable punishment would be for them.  

The book was written using dual narration from Em and Chase, the main characters. They weren't overly likeable characters, nor were they meant to be. It almost felt like their actions and who they were weren't the focus. Yes, what they did and how the furies chose to respond is a key feature the underlying tone was about any wrongdoing, not specifically Em and Chase's. The question Fury left me wondering about was who has the right to judge us? Our peers, our parents, the law, our friends?

Em, I felt, grew as a character more than Chase did. I could never condone cheating, especially not with your best friend's boyfriend but I think it was really interesting to see the situation from her perspective and how easily she was able to make the situation suit her.

The secondary characters took quite a prominent role. Gabby, despite not being present in most of the book really dominated. I loved her character and felt like I could really relate to her. Em's neighbour and friend JD was lovely. I just adored him. Instead of taking a back seat these characters were really involved and I loved that. Zac....let's not talk about him. You decide for yourself what you think of him.

Now, onto the furies. I think they were written well. As I said earlier, accuracy isn't something I can comment on but I thought they wee extremely powerful and dominating characters. They are so compelling and their power is quite horrifying at times. They added the darker side to the story.

At times the plot gets a little slow but the ending is just s full of action that I didn't really mind. There is the slight issue of the marketing perhaps as it is portrayed as very paranormal but for the most part it felt very contemporary though this didn't bother me.

Fury is a compelling, engaging read; full of mystery, sexiness and a whole lot of bad behaviour. The ending just leaves you wanting more and I can't stop thinking about how the next book is going to go! It is definitely recommended.

2 comments:

  1. Where did this cover come from? It's different from all the others I've seen. Pretty cool, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture is of the UK cover. I think both the US and the UK covers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...