Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Tuesday 1 February 2011

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

The ReplacementTitle: The Replacement
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
Pages: 375
Release Date: January 6th 2011 (UK)
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Source: For Review (thank you :D)
Rating: 4 out of 5

Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, Mackie comes from a world of tunnels and black, murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattoed princess. He is a replacement - left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago when it was stolen away by the fey. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood and consecrated ground, Mackie is slowly dying in the human world. Mackie would give anything just to be normal, to live quietly amongst humans, practice his bass guitar and spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem, where he must face down the dark creatures and find his rightful place - in our world, or theirs.

This has to be one of the most original books I have ever read. The whole concept completely captivated me. I was drawn it, wanting to know more and more. The book was never slow but it definitely picked up about half way through. 

It wasn't overly scary or creepy. I'm terrified of horror films (yet inflict them on myself anyway) and I found this perfectly fine to read. What did creep me out a bit was the fact that the exterior seemed so perfect but underneath the surface the people in the town were just as bad as the people stealing the babies. 

I loved Mackie. He wasn't particularly brave or noble. He avoided being noticed and kept in the shadows. Definitely not your typical knight in shining armour. All these things just made me love him more. He was real. He had fears. He was a typical teenage boy in that respect, just with a few extra bonuses. 

Tate was another character I liked. She and Mackie's friends were a great addition to the novel. They really added something to the novel and to Mackie. What great friends. Brenna did a great job in showing Mackie's relationship with them.

Yovanoff's writing was so easy to read. There was such fluidity and everything followed seamlessly. I did however find myself confused at points. I don't know if it was to do with me reading it at midnight or if it was even deliberate. I didn't always have a full grasp on what was going on and who knew what but that may have been the point. I don't know.

Overall, it was a really great read. The writing was great, the plot was great, the characters were great. The originality of the novel made it that much more enjoyable. Pick it up today!

I would just like to thank Simon and Schuster for sending me a review copy of the novel. 

4 out of 5 stars


10 comments:

  1. I've read so many reviews on this one. It looks good and I really would like to read it someday. Great Review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks :) You should definitely give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! The premise does sound kind of awesome. I have always liked protagonists that break the mold in different ways - NOT being a hero. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks :) me too! I think it makes them that much better. Normal people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you for getting a review copy! I'm still to nervous to ask.

    I love how you mention the town being just as rotten and wrong as the baby snatchers. I thought the author did a really good job making that point. It added so much more depth and conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks :) You really should! Your blog is great :)

    Thanks. It made it seem that much worse, you know?They were really just as bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why haven't l got to this yet?!
    It's on my kindle but l just haven't!! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must, you must! I hope you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...