Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Thursday 17 May 2012

Discussion: Boys In Books

Romance is a key factor in a novel for me. I'm disappointed if I don't get one and I am constantly sniffing out the love interest. I love hot, sexy love interests. Who doesn't? But is that a realistic depiction of the majority of love interests in the real world? No.


Most boys are described as muscular, tanned, slim, attractive, smouldering eyes. I understand why writers do it. If I wrote a novel I'd love my male love interest to be nice and sexy, sure. Readers swoon at sexy!

But you know what? Readers also swoon at sweetness. They swoon at a boy that is charming and kind and funny. Cricket from 'Lola and the Boy Next Door' is one of the sweetest characters I have come across. And he's who I would choose over say Patch or Alex from Perfect Chemistry. The sexy ones also tend to be the bad boys. Bad boys are great in books. Bad Boy gone Good can even be great in real life. I'd much rather a good boy that treats me right though.

Am I saying male character should be ugly and unattractive? No. I'm just saying it would be nice to see them looking maybe a little gangly or not toned, or a little overweight or - um, what word would decribe all these things - oh yes, normal. As it is romance novels do tend to raise people's expectations, especially young girls, into thinking they will find love so easily and with a guy who looks like an model no less. I find realistic romance novels the most enjoyable kind and I'd love it if the male lead was realistic too!



If you have any recommendations for books that have realistic guys please let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I might be being a little cheeky here, since I am the editor of the novels but I have a few coming out from Strange Chemistry at the end of the year that might fit the bill!

    The first is Shift by Kim Curran. The lead character Scott is gangly and a bit of a loser. The book is told from his point of view which also makes it a little bit different. It's out in September.

    The second book is Poltergeeks. Julie has a best mate called Marcus, who is a geek and not that good looking, but sweet and loyal. Julie has to decide whether they might be more than just good friends. It's out in October.

    Hopefully this didn't overstep boundaries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! Thank you for those recommendations. I shall keep an eye out! :)

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more with you! I love me some bad boys (I'm a sucker for them actually) but would love to read more books with the good guy love interest. I need to make Lola and The Boy Next Door as my next read.

    I'll have to think of some good guy love interests for ya. Sadly, none come to mind. :/

    -Britney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! What's so wrong with normal, sweet boys in books, huh? I'd rather a normal nice guy than a douchbag with nice abs in my books! Especially because the douchbag boys also have a tendency to make the lead female character a lovestruck mess who just sort of takes his douchbaggery because of his sexiness. Cricket is one of my favourite fictional boys ever, but Oscar in Emma Hearts LA is also super lovely and normal :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...